Providing personal care for your relative or friend
A large part of caring for a person with a life-threatening illness at home is giving personal care. This means helping your relative or friend get dressed, washed, go to the toilet, get in and out of bed and helping with food and drink. Some people may feel unsettled or unsure about how to provide this care.
Here are some useful and endorsed information, resources and links to help you provide personal care.
Palliative Care Program
The Palliative Care team may:
- Refer you to Home and Community Care (HACC). HACC services can provide help with housework, house maintenance, gardening, personal care and respite care through your local council.
- Refer you to Barwon Health Community Nursing.
- Together with Community Nursing empower you to provide personal care by teaching you techniques.
- Refer you to private nursing agencies, such as Mercy Home and Community Care.
- Further information on the Barwon Health Palliative Care Program.
Helpful resources and links
Websites and other resources
Last Modified: Monday, 10 August 2020