Careers in Cancer Services
Watch a welcome video from our CEO, Frances Diver, and learn more about Barwon Health and the Geelong region.
Barwon Health’s Cancer Services is a comprehensive, integrated service providing world class cancer care for adults across the south west region.
The Andrew Love Cancer Centre (ALCC) is a world class comprehensive cancer centre that has provided expert care to those affected by cancer in Geelong and southwest Victoria in a supportive and caring environment since 1992 across the Southwest region.
Based in Geelong, we have state-of-the-art facilities, equipment and highly-skilled health professionals who provide personalised treatment and care. Chemotherapy, haematology and radiotherapy services are provided at the Andrew Love Cancer Centre. Our centre is home to a 15-chair chemotherapy day ward and radiotherapy day centre with 3 state-of-the-art Linear Accelerators (Linac’s) providing radiotherapy to our patients. The Allerton Family Pharmacy located in Andrew Love Cancer Centre is dedicated to the manufacturing and supply of chemotherapy and other medications used in the treatment of cancer. There is also a well-established cancer clinical trials team, providing opportunities for patients to participate in innovative, scientifically and ethical-sound cancer clinical trials.
Cancer Services at Barwon Health has experienced staff, dedicated to their work of caring for patients, their families and carers during the cancer experience. Our staff are committed to providing first-class care, consisting of the following broad range of people providing specialised care and support:
- Medical Oncologists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Medical Registrars and Residents
- Cancer Nurse Managers
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Cancer Nurse Coordinators
- Experienced Cancer Nurses
- Radiation Therapists
- Administration and operational support
- Graduate Nurses
- Allied Health staff including Physiotherapists Occupational Therapists, Dieticians, Speech Therapists, Podiatrists and Social Workers
- Ward Clerks
- Patient Service Assistants and Housekeepers
- Consulting teams, including Palliative Care and Pain Management
Meet Paige - Oncology Nurse
"I started my career at Barwon Health as a Casual Bank Nurse in 2018 and have now landed my dream job working in Andrew Love Cancer Centre (ALCC) administering chemotherapy to Oncology patients. I also work in ALCC Radiotherapy, providing nursing support for oncology patients undergoing radiation treatment, which I love.
I have been given the opportunity to commence my postgraduate degree in Cancer Nursing and have been given multiple opportunities to further my knowledge by participating in regular in services at Barwon Health. I have had the opportunity to work in other areas within ALCC that I never knew I had an interest in until trying, like Radiotherapy, where I now work regular shifts. The opportunities are always presenting themselves and I love taking on new and exciting prospects.
Cancer Service teams work together to ensure we are providing the best all-around care for the patients. I love the team morale - we support and uplift one another and it’s a good feeling going home each day knowing that we truly care and are doing the best by each patient every day. It’s almost like a big family!"
The Cancer Service program has:
- Specialist medical oncology, haematology and radiation oncology programs
- Subspecialist care streams
- A recently built, dedicated inpatient oncology ward
- Cutting edge facilities with a recently refurbished day ward and new oncology pharmacy
- A hospital in the home program to provide care at home where possible
- Broad allied health services including physiotherapy, dietetics, speech pathology, psychology and specialist dental support
- Specialist cancer nursing support for common cancer types
- A Cancer Nurse Assessment Clinic to help patients receive advice and support as they proceed through treatment
- A specialist lymphoedema service
- A supportive care program with a wellness lounge, access to prehabilitation and rehabilitation services and survivorship services
- A dedicated clinical trials unit, providing access to cutting edge treatments
- A specialist palliative care service, providing inpatient and outpatient support including community based care at home
- Links to specialist cancer services in metropolitan Melbourne to link and co-ordinate care for patients requiring highly specialised treatments
- Links to regional services in the Barwon South West to assist in patients receiving appropriate care as close to home as possible
- Dedicated accommodation units for patients and carers needing to attend for treatment locally who live 100km or more from Geelong.
The radiotherapy service in Barwon Health has:
- Provided radiotherapy treatments to the people of Geelong and surrounding areas since 1992.
- Provides treatment for over 1000 patients from across the region each year for a range of different conditions
- A dedicated care team including doctors, radiation therapists, nurses, medical physicists, administration and reception staff
- As an integrated part of the Barwon Health Cancer Services program, provides access to all of the other components of Cancer Services
- A set of state of the art treatment machines that are amongst the newest in Victoria and provide insurance against unplanned treatment interruptions.
- A dedicated machine for treating skin cancers
- No waiting lists and no out of pocket expenses for patients with Medicare cards
- Was the first radiotherapy service outside Melbourne to provide highly focussed stereotactic radiotherapy treatments and continues to expand that service to provide those treatments to an increasing number of cancer types
- Has links to specialised radiotherapy services in Melbourne for situations where patients require highly specialised treatments not available locally
- A multidisciplinary team co-ordinating care within and across the spectrum of cancer types
Last Modified: Friday, 04 August 2023