- Learn more about your career with us
- Consumer Advisors
- Moving to our region
- Our People
- Our Culture
- Be Rewarded
- Careers in Nursing
- Careers in Maternity Services
- Careers in Medicine
- Careers in Mental Health
- Careers in Operating Services
- Careers in Support Services
- Careers in Aged Care
- Nursing Careers in Permanent Pool and Casual Bank
- Careers in Barwon South West Public Health Unit (BSWPHU)
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Graduate Careers
- Careers in Cancer Services
- Careers for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
Careers in Medicine
Barwon Health's University Hospital Geelong is one of Victoria's major teaching hospitals and has a reputation for innovation in research and excellence in patient care. Medical, surgical and specialist services offered are among the most comprehensive of any hospital in the state.
Barwon Health runs a comprehensive prevocational training program for new medical graduates at the Intern, HMO2, HMO3 and lead-in training for many of the vocational training programs in most specialties, inclusive of a GP rural generalist pathway.
Barwon Health Intern Program 2023
Click the image below to download our information booklet.
There will be 45 intern positions at Barwon Health in 2023. Each intern will complete five rotations.
|General Medicine||General Surgery|
Emergency Medicine - Warrnambool
|General Medicine - Hamilton||Radiation Oncology|
|Orthopaedics - Warrnambool||Psychiatry|
Hospital Medical Officer
Hospital Medical Officer positions
Our HMO2 has three streams: General, Medical and Surgical. Listed below are the rotations you may choose from alongside a leave and cover term.
HMO 2 General
- Hospital in the Home
- RAPU (General Medicine)
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- St John of God (ED & Ward)
- Palliative Care
HMO 2 Medical
- Medical Oncology
- Infectious Diseases
- Diabetes & Endocrinology
HMO 2 Surgical
- General Surgery
All HMO posts are advertised on the Barwon Health website in late May each year. The Intern, HMO2, BPT2 and BPT3 positions are allocated by a state matching process run by the Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria. Each year the senior medical staff, nominate an intern of the year and provide an award for the best HMO and/or Registrar Research Project.
Meet Megan, an Emergency Consultant
“When I started working at Barwon Health I was in the contemplative stage of sitting my final emergency medicine fellowship exams.
The fellowship program offered here has a well-established reputation as being exceptionally organised, supportive and successful. The hospital has all the perks of a tertiary centre. We have all but a small number of subspecialties and ED sees it all - paediatrics, O&G, and major trauma, which is not the case in larger emergency departments.
As an Emergency Consultant I have been given a multitude of opportunities. I have facilitated a locally run Paediatric Life Support Course, been involved in research projects and leadership roles, participated in telehealth and teaching roles at rural urgent care facilities,and I also lecture and tutor medical students at Deakin University.
As an Emergency Trainee you have the chance to rotate through paediatrics, anaesthetics, ICU, orthopaedics, and O&G departments. There are additional opportunities to work in smaller emergency departments such as Colac, and links with the Alfred, Royal Melbourne Hospital and Royal Children’s Hospital.
It was a true career highlight when I was offered a permanent consultant position at Barwon Health. Every day I get to work with people who love what they do, are committed to doing what is right for our patients and community, and continually strive to do better.”
Meet Aaranie, an International Medical Graduate and aspiring Rural GP
“As an international medical graduate, Barwon Health was my first choice to commence my career as a medical doctor in Australia.
I was looking for an organisation with a diverse population and welcoming culture where I am respected for my morals, values and beliefs which I found here.
Working at Barwon Health gave me the chance to experience a wide breadth of rotations including ED, Geriatric Evaluation Medicine, General Surgery, a rural rotation at Colac Area Health, O&G, Neuro Trauma Rehabilitation and Rapid Assessment and Planning Unit. This has ultimately led me to confidently choose a career as a rural General Practitioner.
I am also grateful for the opportunity to pursue my passion for Women’s Health and complete a Diploma in Obstetrics.
Throughout my time at Barwon Health, it has been a highlight to serve the community by being a member of a health organisation that prioritises high-quality patient care, education and research in order to advance health and wellbeing for all.”
Meet Jackson, an Intern Doctor
“As a new doctor only beginning my career, Barwon Health has supported my development by allowing me to pursue all my different areas of interest.
With the breadth of rotations available in both surgery, medicine and emergency, I have been able to experience different areas in short rotations and gain a better understanding of the career path I wish to pursue.
My rural rotations, particularly in the emergency department at Warrnambool, accelerated my ability to deal with high-pressure environments and gave me greater confidence in treating a multitude of patient presentations as well as deteriorating patients.
I have also gained a lot from the supportive and challenging teaching sessions – from protected intern sessions to impromptu educations in the ward and theatre environments.
For junior doctors, Barwon Health has great appeal for future career prospects as there is a multitude of training pathways available to undertake and ongoing support to continue these interests into the future.”
Meet Praveen, a Medical Resident
“One key advantage of being a junior doctor at Barwon Health is that it has the benefits of being a large healthcare network which sees complex patients, but is also small enough to make you feel valued.
I am currently a BPT1 on the medical oncology ward and completing my internship here has given me the confidence to manage complex patients both in the emergency and in a ward setting.
The consultants are willing to teach, and give extra responsibility to junior doctors who are motivated.
I have been able to provide comprehensive medical care to intricate patients over a large geographical area stretching from Geelong to the South Australian border.
Another highlight for me was working on the COVID-19 ward where I gained a breadth of knowledge about infectious diseases and managed some of the sickest patients in the hospital. The continued opportunity for personal growth and professional development is what draws me to continue my career Barwon Health.”
Meet Anton, an Orthopaedics Registrar
“Barwon Health was my top preference for my training rotation as an Orthopaedic Registrar as the department had a reputation as one of the best in the state and the hospital culture was reported to be overwhelmingly friendly.
The teaching culture at Barwon Health is fantastic, and it is expected you will always be given hands on opportunities at any Junior Doctor level.
My highlight so far has been working with amazing staff in all departments – ward, theatres and clinics are all serviced by exceptionally capable people who bring lots of experience and enjoyment to the workplace.”
- 2023 Surgical Unaccredited Registrars
- 2023 Obstetrics & Gynaecology Senior Registrar
- 2023 Senior Obstetrics Registrar
- 2023 Obstetrics & Gynaecology Unaccredited Registrars
- 2023 General Surgery Fellows
- 2023 Diploma of Obstetrics
- 2023 HMO3 Critical Care Residents (including ED Certificate Positions)
- 2023 Medical Administration Registrar
- 2023 Emergency Medicine Registrars
- 2023 HMO3 General Residents
- 2023 Nuclear Medicine Advanced Trainee/Fellow
- 2023 Ophthalmology Fellow
- 2023 Medical Internship
- 2023 Rehabilitation Registrars
- 2023 Psychiatry Registrar (1st Year)
- 2023 Victorian Rural Generalist Advanced Priority Post Paediatrics Barwon Health & Portland District Health
- 2023 Victorian Rural Generalist Advanced Priority Post Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- 2023 Victorian Rural Generalist Advanced Priority Post Paediatrics
- 2023 Victorian Rural Generalist Advanced Priority Post Anaesthetics Barwon Health & Western District Health
- 2023 Intensive Care Registrars
- 2023 HMO2/3 Surgical Resident Stream
- 2023 HMO Medical Resident Stream (BPT1)
- 2023 HMO2 General Resident Stream
- 2023 Cardiothoracic Unaccredited Registrar
- 2023 Otolaryngology (ENT) Unaccredited Surgical Registrar
- 2023 Radiology Registrars
- 2023 Diabetes & Endocrinology Fellow
- 2023 Medical Registrar BPT 2
- 2023 Medical Registrar BPT 3
- 2023 General Medicine Advanced Trainee Positions Geelong & Western Victorian Rural Training Hub
- 2023 Neurology Advanced Trainees
- Junior Medical Staff (FY2+) - AUSTRALIA
Last Modified: Tuesday, 06 December 2022