The Barwon Health Pharmacy Department provides an extensive range of pharmacy services to University Hospital Geelong, the McKellar Centre, community health centres and small hospitals in the region.
The department also provides contracted pharmacy services to St John of God Hospital Geelong.
In keeping with its commitment to teaching, the service has an active involvement with education for student and intern pharmacists and doctors, nursing staff and other health professionals. The pharmacy department is also heavily involved in lecturing and tutoring for both under- and postgraduate pharmacy degrees at Monash University and medicine degree at Deakin University. There is also a lively pharmacy practice research program, including clinical trials, with some project links to Monash University.
Barwon Health pharmacists are essential members of the clinical teams and have a critical role in safe medication management. Their understanding of evidenced-based medication management ensures Barwon Health patients receive the best pharmacy care possible. The pharmacists' roles include:
- Working with the ward healthcare team to ensure the selection of the best medication at the correct dose for an appropriate duration
- Monitoring and preventing or minimising side effects and drug interactions
- Providing medication counseling to patients
- Dispensing medications for patients in wards, the emergency department and those attending outpatient clinics
- Manufacturing specialised medications such as chemotherapy for cancer treatment, mixtures and creams, radiopharmaceuticals etc
- Offering specialist drug therapy advice to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals within the hospital.
The pharmacy service employs numerous specialist pharmacists, including pharmacists specialised in drug treatment relating to cardiology, cardiothoracic, emergency, endocrinology, infectious diseases, intensive care, neurology, oncology, paediatrics, renal, respiratory and surgery.
The Barwon Health Pharmacy Department at the McKellar Centre site provides specialised services to rehabilitation and palliative care patients.
Barwon Health pharmacists are supported by a dedicated quality use of medicines team. They specialise in medication safety, medicines information, formulary management and antimicrobial stewardship.
Last Modified: Tuesday, 12 February 2019
Address: University Hospital Geelong, Outpatients, level 3, Bellerine St, Geelong 3220
Contact Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm
Car Parking: On street parking available
Phone Number: 03 4215 1582