Renal Medicine and Dialysis
Barwon Health Renal Services is located at 74 - 76 Swanston Street, Geelong.
The Renal Services building is a newly built $6.4 million facility. The unit features a large, accessible renal outpatients clinic, a modernised home dialysis unit (including home haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis), onsite parking and renal education and administration services.
Renal Services provides care for all patients with primary or secondary kidney disease, electrolyte disorders, hypertension, chronic kidney disease (CKD) 2-5, dialysis and transplant related problems. It also provides training, support and home maintenance for night-time home haemodialysis (HD) machines that are used in the home of patients.
Renal Services provided include:
- Care for all patients of Barwon Health (regional population ~450,000) with primary or secondary renal disease, electrolyte disorders, hypertension, CKD 2-5, dialysis and transplant-related problems.
- Inpatient and outpatient haemodialysis services - (eight HD stations)
- Inpatient peritoneal dialysis (PD) including management of Tenckhoff catheters, peritoneal dialysis-related peritonitis and PD complications of Continuous Ambulatory and Automated Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD and APD).
- Management of surgically created dialysis vascular access.
- Management (with ICU) of temporary and permanent IJ venous catheter access (cuffed and uncuffed catheters) including urokinase de-clotting, re-insertion etc.
- Inpatient and outpatient management of renal biopsy.
- Inpatient management (with ICU) of acute renal failure with continuous veno-venous haemodiafiltration (CVVHD) +/- slow low-efficiency dialysis (SLED).
- Outpatient satellite (full, limited and self-care) haemodialysis at South Geelong Dialysis Unit (SGDU) - (16 HD stations)
- Outpatient satellite haemodialysis at Newcomb Satellite Dialysis Unit (SGDU) - (six HD stations)
- Outpatient training, support and home care for CAPD and APD at the Peritoneal Dialysis Unit (PDU) at SGDU.
- Outpatient training, support and home maintenance for our 'flagship' nocturnal home haemodialysis.
- Outpatient support and supervision of five regional satellite haemodialysis facilities at Colac and Lorne (each with three HD stations).
- Inpatient and outpatient care of renal transplantation.
- Shared care with Barwon Health Medical Imaging for U/S and angiography, transluminal angioplasty and stent insertion to renovascular and AV fistula lesions.
- Shared care with St Vincent's Transplant Service for renal transplantation (transplant patients permanently return day seven).
- Shared care with Monash Medical Centre Transplant Unit for care of simultaneous pancreatic and kidney (SPK) transplantation.
- Australian contributory unit to the international DOPPS II and DOPPS III studies on dialysis outcomes and practice profiles.
- Contributory unit to ANZDATA.
Last Modified: Thursday, 14 March 2019