Health professionals - referrals and fact sheets
Barwon Health provides services covering the Geelong region, Surf Coast, Bellarine Peninsula, Queenscliff, Colac Otway region, through to Apollo Bay.
As a public clinical mental health, drugs and alcohol service, our services are for people with a significant level of distress, psychosocial need, or concern regarding a risk to themselves or others as a result of a mental illness.
Common diagnoses treated by our services are:
- drugs and alcohol
- first episode psychosis
- bipolar disorder
- significant personality disorder
- significant depression or anxiety disorder
- eating disorders
Find out more general information about eligibility for accessing mental health services (including early signs, assessment, evaluation, treatment planning).
Referrals to Barwon Health Mental Health, Drugs and Alcohol Services
In an emergency, call 000
If you are in an emergency situation and are worried about your safety, or someone else’s, call 000 for an immediate response.
Is your patient currently using one of our mental health, drug or alcohol services?
New mental health, drug or alcohol patient referral to Barwon Health:
Urgent? In the event that your contact about a current patient/consumer/friend cannot wait until business hours, call our triage service (after hours and on weekends) on 1300 094 187.
Not urgent? Ask to speak to the key clinician at the appropriate local health service, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Find out contact details for each service.
To make a referral, contact our triage service on 1300 094 187.
Other specialised support services
- Find out more about local, regional and national specialised support services.
GP Psychiatry Support Line
Supporting GPs managing the care of mental health consumers.
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (you will need your AHPRA number)
Ph: 1800 16 17 18
Mental Health Treatment Plan
A Mental Health Treatment (also known as Mental Health Care Plan) aims to enhance the quality of mental health care provision and support GPs in the management of patients with a mental illness.
Medication Fact Sheets
- There are a range of ways to find out about medications. Barwon Health has a partnership with the Choice and Medication website, which provides up-to-date medication fact sheets.
Diagnosis Fact Sheets
- For further information about clinical diagnosis.
Bipolar Depression Rating Scale (BDRS)
- The Bipolar Depression Rating Scale (BDRS) is a clinician-administered depression rating scale tailored to the clinical profile of bipolar depression.
Suicide Risk Assessment
- This suicidesuicide risk assessment instrument was developed by Barwon Health.
Illness Cognitions Scale (ICS)
- The Illness Cognitions Scale (ICS), is a validated a metric of abnormal illness belief and behaviour.
Supporting Lived Experience Staff
The Centre for Mental Health Learning (CMHL Victoria) has released frameworks for consumers and carers, to assist supervisors and workers from other disciplines to understand the scope of Lived Experience Workers.
Release of consumer information from Barwon Health - Information Sheet
Please refer to the information sheet for information on how to seek consumer information from Barwon Health.
Last Modified: Monday, 20 November 2023