Community Dental Services provides dental care to eligible healthcare and pension card holders and their dependents. Services include emergency dental care (during business hours), general dentistry and denture care.
If you have a dental emergency, staff will categorise your need for medical attention based on pain levels and seriousness of the complaint. Based on this may be seen within 24 hours or longer. After hours options include Barwon Health emergency or the Royal Dental Hospital in Melbourne.
The following people are eligible for public dental services
Children and young people are eligible for emergency and general dental care
- All children aged zero to 12 years. No fees apply
- Young people aged 13 to 17 years who are health care or pensioner concession card holders, dependents of concession card holders or eligible for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS). No fees apply
- All children and young people up to 18 years of age, who are in out-of-home care (includes kinship, foster and residential care) provided by the Children Youth and Families Division of the Department of Human Services. No fees apply.
- All youth justice clients in custodial care, up to 18 years of age. No fees apply.
Adults are eligible for emergency, general and denture care.
People aged 18 years and over, who are health care or pensioner concession card holders or dependents of concession card holders. Fees apply.
- Emergency care $26.50 per visit
- General care $26.50 per visit up to $106
- Denture care $63 per denture
- Waitlists may apply for general dental care and denture care.
Priority care access groups
Are eligible for emergency and general dental care.
Priority care means 'next available appointment'.
The below client groups are eligible to receive priority care as defined by the Department of Health policy:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. No fees apply
- Children and young people. No fees apply
- Homeless people and people at risk of homelessness. No fees apply
- Refugees and asylum seekers. No fees apply
- Registered clients of mental health and disability services, supported by a letter of recommendation from their case manager or staff. No fees apply.
- Pregnant women who are eligible. The above fees apply.
- Priority care includes emergency, general and denture care.
- Emergency care
- Interstate clients who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to access care. Fees apply.
The Community Dental Service has clinics at the following locations:
For Health Professionals
Last Modified: Tuesday, 12 February 2019