The Barwon Health Pharmacy Department has a wide research focus encompassing advanced hospital pharmacy practice, workforce innovation, telehealth, radiopharmacy, medication safety, antimicrobial stewardship and smoking cessation. In addition, the Pharmacy Department supports more than 100 investigator-led and industry sponsored clinical trials within Barwon Health.
Keen to hear more about clinical trials at Barwon Health?
Click here to watch the role of clinical trials pharmacists: Ms Tracy Shields, Clinical Trials Pharmacist, Pharmacy Unit, Barwon Health (3 min)
|Deakin University||Department of Health|
|Western Alliance||Grampians Health||Colac Area Health|
|Society of Hospital Pharmacists|
- Dr Greg Weeks, Director of Pharmacy
- Dr Diana Bortoletto, Senior Education and Training Pharmacist
- Garth Birdsey, Senior Cardiology Pharmacist
- Janice Chiang, Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacist
- Julia Salanowski, Analgesic Stewardship Pharmacist
- Katherine Snowden, Oncology trials pharmacist
- Tracy Shields/Moi Thrift, Clinical trials pharmacists
- Masters of Clinical Pharmacy (Monash University): Nhi Le - The impact of pharmacist-led telephone follow-up on toxicity, quality of life and satisfaction in patients on capecitabine-based chemotherapy
- Master of Clinical Pharmacy (Monash University): Matt Hollett
- Masters of Business Administration (Deakin University): Derek Chai
- Masters of Business Administration (University of Adelaide): Tommy Sperac
- Masters in Health Management and Leadership (University NSW): Clare Spiden
- Master of Digital Health (La Trobe University): Andrew Chin - Exploring the use of digital dashboard for reporting pharmacy data
- BSWRICS. A randomised controlled trial of an of intensive clinical pharmacy intervention versus usual care in patients taking newly initiated oral cancer therapies: 2022-2023 ($67,813)
- Western Alliance Academic Health Science Centre. Establishment and evaluation of a perioperative medicines management service at regional hospital sites in Western Victoria: 2023-4 ($37,200)
- Allied Health Workforce Advanced Practice Grant. Advanced practice scope for pharmacists embedded in@ home services in regional and rural settings: 2023-4 ($169,723)
Weeks G, Gobarani R, Abramson MJ et al Varenicline And NIcotine replacement therapy for Smokers admitted to Hospitals (VANISH): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. In submission to the European Respiratory Journal 2023
Gobarani RK, Weeks GR, Abramson MJ, Bonevski B, Paul E, Webb A, et al. Which smokers enrol in a hospital based smoking cessation trial? Survey of smoking related behaviours, quit attempts and motivation to quit. Revision Submitted to Health Promot J Austr. 2022.
Gobarani RK, Weeks GR, Abramson MJ, Bonevski B, Liau SJ, George J. Experiences of hospitalized smokers initiated on varenicline as part of a pragmatic smoking cessation trial. J Addict Dis. 2022:1-9. doi: 10.1080/10550887.2022.2101339.
Evaluating the efficacy and safety of varenicline as a sole pharmacotherapy vs. in combination with nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) lozenges in assisting smoking cessation among hospitalised smokers: Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Gobarani R, Abramson MJ, Bonevski B, Weeks GR, Dooley MJ, Smith B, Veale A, Webb A, Kirsa S, Thomas D. BMJ Open. 2020; 10:e038184.
The effectiveness of a simple antimicrobial stewardship intervention in general practice in Australia: a pilot study. Neels AJ, Bloch AE, Gwini SM, Athan E. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2020 20(586).
Interventions for improving medication-taking ability and adherence in older adults prescribed multiple medications. Cross AJ, Elliott RA, Petrie K, Kuruvilla L, George J. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2020;5(5): CD012419.
Comprehensive identification of medication‐related problems occurring prior to, during and after emergency department presentation: An Australian multicentre, prospective, observational study. Taylor SE, Mitri EA, Harding AM, Taylor DM, Weeks A, Abbott L, Lambros P, Lawrence D, Strumpman D, Senturk‐Raif R, et al. Emerg Med Australas. 2020;32(3): 457-465.
Multi‐site evaluation of partnered pharmacist medication charting and in‐hospital length of stay. [NOTE - Full text for Barwon Health staff; public can view abstract]. Tong EY, Mitra B, Yip G, Galbraith K, Dooley MJ. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2020;86(2): 285-290.
Impact of proactive pharmacist‐assisted warfarin management using an electronic medication management system in Australian hospitalised patients. [NOTE - Full text for Barwon Health staff; public can view abstract]. Tyedin AE, Taylor SE, Than J, Al‐Alawi R, O’Halloran E, Chau A. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research. 2020;50: 144-151.
Medication management for community palliative care patients and the role of a specialist palliative care pharmacist: A qualitative exploration of consumer and health care professional perspectives. Kuruvilla L, Weeks G, Eastman P, George J. Palliat Med. 2018;32(8): 1369-1377.
Non-medical prescribing versus medical prescribing for acute and chronic disease management in primary and secondary care. Weeks G, George J, Maclure K, Stewart D. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2016;11: D011227.
Support Our Research
Participate in a clinical trial
To find out about Clinical Trials currently underway at Barwon Health, click here.
Clinical trials require ongoing investment and there are several ways to support this amazing work.
You can make a donation today and contribute to an item on our research wish list, consider a bequest in your will, or establish a lasting legacy fund in your name. No matter what size, your philanthropic support with deliver an immediate impact.
To donate now or for more information and further discuss your support, please contact the Barwon Health Foundation.
$1000 - $5000
- A pharmacist led metabolic monitoring service for mental health clients
- Pharmacist charting projects for surgical patients
$5,000 - $20,000
- Medication outcomes of a pharmacist service in the home for at risk patient groups
- An evaluation of in-house pharmacist within aged care homes on medication use and safety
- Extended pharmacy technician scope of practice to improve patient flow and prioritisation of pharmacy service
- Collaborative multi-site projects
Last Modified: Monday, 11 September 2023
Dr Greg Weeks, MPharm MHA PhD FSHP
Director of Pharmacy
University Hospital Geelong
Bellerine Centre, Level 3
Bellerine St, Geelong Vic 3220
Phone (03) 4215 1582