How to Prepare an Application
An application is required for any proposed research project including Quality Assurance (QA), quality improvement, or audit activities, where there is an intention to publish or otherwise present the data beyond the hospital staff. Applications are assessed by REGI and relevant committees to ensure they meet ethical, governance, regulatory, legal, budget and resource requirements.
REGI recommends talking to your Manager and Head of Department early about your intended research project. This ensures any concerns they may have can be ironed out, and that you have their support when it comes to ethics and governance application time.
REGI only accepts applications via ERM (Ethics Review Manager).
- Glossary of acronyms used across this site. Updated 16 June 2022.
- Student Research Placement Agreement and Protocol forms. Find out more here. Updated 26 May 2022.
- REGI Fees Invoice Form (download and submit via ERM at time of submission). Find out more here. Updated 28 February 2022.
- Pre-submission Peer Review Process (mandatory for Greater than Low Risk & Student Research as of 13 Sept 2021)
- Pre-submission Peer Review Proforma (mandatory for Greater than Low Risk & Student Research as of 13 Sept 2021)
To prepare an application, follow these steps:
Step 1. Contact REGI to discuss and plan your research project application
REGI is here to help you plan your research project and submit your application. Email us at [email protected] and a member of the REGI team will get back to you within 24 hours.
To help us provide you with the best support, please include in your email:
- the research question you want your project to answer
- a brief description of the project (3 - 5 sentences)
- attachments of any documents you already have underway
- your phone number
- your Barwon Health reference number in your enquiry (if you have a current application)
Need to check the level of risk of your project? Click here to download the Level of Risk Checklist
New to research and not sure where to start? Click here for a handy video
Want to submit your application at the next HREC meeting? Click here for HREC meeting dates
Step 2. Apply for a Barwon Health Reference Number
All research applications submitted to Barwon Health for review must have a Barwon Health reference number. To generate a Barwon Health Research Reference Number, click here.
Please ensure that your Barwon Health reference number is included within your application (as the local reference), and in all correspondence with REGI.
Step 3. Follow the application process that suits your research type
Last Modified: Thursday, 16 June 2022