Definition of a case study report
A case study report is an article that describes a particular patient's diagnosis and treatment plan. Most of the cases chosen for published medical case studies are of unusual diagnoses, or include complications in treatment. A case study report is written in a specific format and can be submitted to peer-reviewed journals.
RDU only accepts case study applications via ERM (Ethics Review Manager).
To create an ERM account, click on "New User". Fill in the applicable information (you can skip fields that are not relevant to you), and agree to the Terms and Conditions. NOTE: Password must be 8+ characters long, contain both upper and lowercase characters and contain at least 1 number. Click "Register" and an activation email will be sent to the entered address. Access email and click the activation link provided. Return to the login page and click "Log in".
Application Steps for Case Study Reports
1. Read the Case Study Report Researcher Guide
2. Generate a Barwon Health reference number
- All research applications submitted to Barwon Health for review must have a Barwon Health reference number. To generate a Barwon Health Research Reference Number click here.
- Please ensure that your Barwon Health reference number is included within your application (as the local reference), and in all correspondence with RDU.
3. Complete the Case Study Report Template OR prepare a draft of the case study manuscript
4. Complete the QA Vic form in ERM
- Note: Do not use the HREA form, only use the QA Vic form for case study applications.
5. Attach the following documents to the ‘Upload’ section of the QA Vic form
6. Collect electronic signatures
- see ERM signature guide
- All authors should sign the application
- Head of department sign off must be obtained
7. Submit your application via ERM by clicking the ‘Submit’ button
- Your application will be reviewed by the RDU with advice from the BH HREC (out of session)
8. Review of your application
- On receipt of an application to proceed with publication of a Case Report, RDU will arrange endorsement by the Barwon Health Human Research Ethics Committee Chair and you will receive acknowledgment of ethics oversight.
Last Modified: Wednesday, 20 December 2023