Definition of a case study report
A case study report is an article that describes a particular patient's diagnosis and treatment plan. Most of the cases chosen for published medical case studies are of unusual diagnoses, or include complications in treatment. A case study report is written in a specific format and can be submitted to peer-reviewed journals.
RDU only accepts case study applications via ERM (Ethics Review Manager).
To create an ERM account, click on "New User". Fill in the applicable information (you can skip fields that are not relevant to you), and agree to the Terms and Conditions. NOTE: Password must be 8+ characters long, contain both upper and lowercase characters and contain at least 1 number. Click "Register" and an activation email will be sent to the entered address. Access email and click the activation link provided. Return to the login page and click "Log in".
Application Steps for Case Study Reports
1. Read the Case Study Report Researcher Guide
2. Generate a Barwon Health reference number
- All research applications submitted to Barwon Health for review must have a Barwon Health reference number. To generate a Barwon Health Research Reference Number click here.
- Please ensure that your Barwon Health reference number is included within your application (as the local reference), and in all correspondence with RDU.
3. Complete the Case Study Report Template OR prepare a draft of the case study manuscript
4. Complete a single site QA/ Negligible risk application in ERM
- Use a QA form
- Note: you can select different forms on ERM, do not use the HREA as it is more detailed and designed for higher risk research
5. Collect electronic signatures
- see ERM signature guide
- Ensure signatures for all case study authors are provided (enter as co- investigators in the QA form)
- Ensure you include Head of Department signature
6. Submit your complete application (with all supporting documents and signatures ) via Ethics Review Manager ERM by clicking the ‘Submit’ button
- Your application will be reviewed by the RDU with advice from the BH HREC (out of session)
Documents to be submitted as part of your application:
- Case Report Template (OR the draft manuscript)
- Case report Participant/Patient Consent Form and Participant information
- Curriculum Vitae of all members of the research team
7. Review of your application
- On receipt of an application to proceed with publication of a Case Report, RDU will arrange endorsement by the Barwon Health Human Research Ethics Committee Chair and you will receive acknowledgment of ethics oversight.
Last Modified: Tuesday, 29 August 2023