Biostatistics Support Service
The Barwon Health Biostatistics Support Service provides statistical support for research undertaken within Barwon Health. The service provides assistance with:
- Study design
- Sample size calculation
- Protocol development
- Investigator initiated clinical trials
- Analysis and modelling of data
- Database development
- Interpretation of results
- Grant and funding support applications
- Preparation of manuscripts
A collaborative approach is taken with all projects and it is recommended that a statistician be consulted in the early stages of a research project to ensure the statistical integrity and validity of the study. Consultations are free of charge to all Barwon Health researchers. However, funded projects that require ongoing statistical support should include the cost of statistical support as part of the project funding.
When ready to access the service, please complete the contact for which can be found here.
If your team or department would benefit from a single or series of statistics presentations/ workshops, contact Dr StellaMay Gwini to organise.
As the Biostatisticians work collaboratively with researchers, it is anticipated that more often than not the contribution made by a biostatistician may warrant co-authorship. All researchers are required to discuss the role of the biostatistician and clarify issues of authorship at the beginning of a collaboration. Barwon Health Guidelines for Determining Co-authorship for a Biostatistician and the Guidelines for Collaborative Research and Authorship may be consulted to facilitate this discussion.
Statistical software supported
- SPSS – for advice and guidance only
- Stata – this is the main and recommended statistical software. The software is freely available for use by all Barwon Health staff through a network license and can be connected to through Citrix. Hence, if you require access first ensure you have been granted access to Citrix and you can contact the Biostatistics office for permission to use Stata.
- R is also available through Citrix, although no support is available through the Biostatistics Service.
REDCap (for data collection and storage)
- Biostatistics for Clinical and Public Health Research: https://www.monash.edu/medicine/sphpm/teaching/professional-education/biostatistics
- Introduction to Data Analysis: SPSS Without Tears: https://www.monash.edu/medicine/sphpm/teaching/shortcourses/spss
- Introduction to Stata: https://www.monash.edu/medicine/sphpm/teaching/professional-education/stata
- Introduction to Systematic Reviews of Health Interventions: https://www.monash.edu/medicine/sphpm/teaching/professional-education/systematic-reviews
Last Modified: Friday, 08 March 2019
Barwon Health Biostatistics Service
Level 2 Kitchener House
P.O. Box 281
Ph. (03) 4215 9624
Email: Bios[email protected]