Surgery - A/Prof Douglas Stupart
I graduated from the University of Cape Town in 1995 and qualified as a General Surgeon in 2002. I completed my Fellowships in Colorectal Surgery at Western Hospital, Melbourne and Cape Town, South Africa. In January 2007 I was appointed as a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon in Cape Town and on 22 February 2010 and was appointed as Visiting Medical Specialist in General Surgery at Barwon Health. I am an Associate Professor in Surgery with Deakin University and am an Academic General Surgeon at Barwon Health. I completed my PhD in the Department of Surgery, University Hospital Geelong and Deakin University.
Aside from clinical surgery, my main interest is in surgical education. I was involved in the teaching of Surgery to undergraduate students at the University of Cape Town and University of Melbourne. I also was appointed the Course Convener for the Undergraduate General Surgery Program at the University of Cape Town. I was appointed to the position of Deakin University/Barwon Health Surgical Rotation Coordinator in February 2010.
In addition to clinical surgery in colorectal and minimally-invasive techniques, I have a strong interest in surgical education, and have acted as a teacher and trainer for many institutions, including; the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, University of Cape Town, the University of Melbourne, Deakin University, Geelong Hospital, Groote Schuur Hospital, Western Hospital, the College of Medicine of South Africa, the World Gastroenterology Organization, the South African College of Surgeons, and General Surgeons Australia. I am a General Surgeon with interests in colorectal and laparoscopic surgery, I have published a number of papers on these topics.
Awards & Achievements
- 2022, Examiner to the Court of General Surgery with Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- 2018, Outstanding Clinician – Teacher Year 3, Deakin University, Geelong Clinical School Student Committee
- 2010, Deakin University's Geelong Clinical School Clinical Educator Award for Excellence, Deakin University
- 2009, Astra Zeneca/South African Gastroenterology Society Award
- 2008, Solvay/South African Gastroenterology Society Award
- 2004, Garron Caine Travelling Fellowship
- Baigrie RJ, Stupart D. Coping with anastomotic leaks: harder as one gets older? BJS, 2023, 1-2 doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znac455 Leading Article
- Stupart D, Pickles K, Briggs C. Anatomy of the vesicovaginal fascia and its relation to branches of the inferior hypogastric plexus. Clinical Anatomy DOI: 10.1002/ca.23858
- Underwood K, Stupart D, Morgan FH, Scott B, Moxham-Smith R, Moore ME, Friedman D. Can the alcohol withdrawal scale be applied to post-operative patients? ANZ J Surg 92 (2022) 1377-1381 Doi: 10.1111/ans.17334
- Stupart D, Beattie J, Lawson M, Watters DA, Fuller L. Medical Students Can Learn Surgery Effectively in a Rural Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship. Journal of Surgical Education. 2020. doi:10.1016/j.jsurg.2020.04.007.
- Stupart DA, Goldberg PA, Algar U. Surveillance colonoscopy improves survival in a cohort of subjects with a single mismatch repair gene mutation. Colorectal Dis. 2009 Feb;11(2):126-30.
How you can help
Participate in a Clinical Trial
Research requires ongoing investment and there are several ways to support our work. You can make a donation today and contribute to an item on our research group’s wish list, consider a bequest in your will, or establish a lasting legacy fund in your name. No matter what size, your philanthropic support will deliver an immediate impact to this important work. To donate now or for more information, please contact the Barwon Health Foundation.
Last Modified: Thursday, 17 August 2023