Christmas Period Admissions
The University Hospital Geelong Emergency Department has seen a spike in attendances over the last few days and it is expected to continue over the coming week.
237 patients were treated in University Hospital Geelong’s Emergency Department on 26th December followed by 254 on 27th December.
This is a 20-30% increase compared to a normal day in ED. This spike in attendance has been anticipated by Barwon Heath and has been a recurring holiday season trend over recent years. Barwon Health has planned for the increase and our staff are managing it.
With the population of the Geelong region swelling with holiday makers at this time of year, Barwon Health expect this surge in admissions to continue over the coming week. Where possible, we would urge the community to seek help and review from GP Clinics and Pharmacists to help alleviate the pressure placed on our Emergency Department.
At this time of year we ask all in the Geelong, Bellarine and Surf Coast region to be mindful of three key issues.
- Driving incidents and accidents associated with both speed and those unfamiliar with local roads increases. Please take care and slow down.
- Water safety and particularly supervision of children should remain a focus at all times around our beautiful beaches, rivers and backyard pools. As we have already seen this summer, tragedies around water can easily occur.
- Finally, and linked to the first two points, is the responsible use of alcohol. It’s a time of celebration and parties, but alcohol related accidents and incidents do peak at this time of year. Please drink responsibly, take care of one another and avoid a trip to the Emergency Department.
Spokesperson: Michael Sheridan - Emergency Medicine Director, Barwon Health
Public Affairs and Communications manage all media relations at Barwon Health.
Media phone: 03 4215 1119 Note: This phone number is not for COVID-19 (coronavirus) information. Please call 1800 675 398 for general information.
Monday to Friday
8.30am to 5pm
Email: [email protected]
Filter by tags
- barwon health
- University Hospital Geelong
- Emergency Department
- mental health
- Deakin University
- Barwon Health North
- Advance Care Planning
- Andrew Love Cancer Centre
- McKellar Centre
- Northern Suburbs
- Urgent Care Centre
- palliative care
- women's health