Your first appointment
Your first appointment at the Pregnancy Care Clinic is a pregnancy booking visit. This will take place at the University Hospital Geelong Outpatient Annexe on Bellerine Street.
When we receive your GP referral, we will contact you by mail to confirm a date and time for your first appointment. Your are welcome to bring your support person to this appointment. Please note that seating in the Pregnancy Care Clinic is prioritised for pregnant women.
At the pregnancy booking visit, your midwife or doctor will take a detailed history and discuss a range of topics with you, including when your baby is due. Midwives and doctors will check any scans you have had and confirm your baby’s due date. Sometimes you may need an ultrasound scan performed during the visit.
At your first appointment, staff will:
- Review results of all your tests and investigations
- Take a full medical, family and pregnancy and birth history
- Discuss your wellbeing in pregnancy, including your mental and emotional health. At this visit Offer screening for depression and anxiety during pregnancy using the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) questions.
- Ask whether you and/ or your partner smoke, and provide advice about stopping smoking.
- Provide some information about childbirth education classes
- Discuss common problems in pregnancy
- Discuss whether you are likely to have a straightforward pregnancy or whether you have more complex and diverse pregnancy needs.
- Order additional or ongoing tests you may require.
- Discuss the types of pregnancy care available to you.
This appointment is an opportunity to ask lots of questions, and we encourage you to do so!
Last Modified: Wednesday, 24 July 2019