Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
The Oral and Maxillofacial unit at Barwon Health is a tertiary referral centre for complex facial trauma, corrective jaw surgery, reconstructive jaw surgery, craniofacial related disorders, oral cancer and pathology and medically compromised patients requiring dental extractions in a major hospital setting
Services not provided
The unit does not accept any referrals for dental extractions for patients who do not have a valid healthcare card .
Referrals for simple dental procedures should be made to one of the following Barwon Health Dental Services:
- Belmont Community Health Centre 03 4215 6800
- Corio Community Health Centre 03 4215 7100
- Newcomb Community Health Centre 03 4215 7520
- Complete oral & maxillofacial referral template (see link to the right)
- All referrals are triaged for urgency Referrals can be faxed 03 4215 1383, e-referral or posted
- Provision of appropriate clinical information within the "reason for patient referral" section of the referral form is essential for accurate triaging and access to services. This will also assist with arranging appropriate Allied Health assessments where necessary
- Both GP & patient will be notified of receipt of referral and expected waiting time for appointment
For patients who require reassessment a new referral should be sent. The new referral must contain the following information:
- State the referral is an update for a current patient
- Date of original referral
- Reason for requesting a review of referral. E.g. deterioration in clinical condition, pathology
The GP will be notified of the outcome of the re-triage process.
Last Modified: Friday, 15 February 2019
Address: Outpatients Department, Bellerine Centre Level 3, University Hospital Geelong
Phone Numbers: GP hotline: If you wish to discuss the triage of your patient or require additional information about your patient's referral, please ring the GP hotline on 03 4215 1398 (for doctors only).
Fax: Outpatient referrals: 03 4215 1383