Each General Surgery unit has specific interests in sub-specialties as well as general surgery.
A stomal therapy nurse and breast cancer support nurse is available for surgical clinics.
Patients will be directed to the appropriate clinician based on the sub-specialties they provide.
This clinic does not accept referrals for the following:
- Varicose veins (refer to Vascular outpatients)
- Vasectomies / Vasectomy reversal
- Gastric banding
- Cosmetic procedures
- Complete surgical referral template
- Patients with colorectal symptoms should be referred using the colonscopy referral template (see link to the right)
- Referrals for new patients with known or suspected carcinoma will usually be seen in the next week - please provide appropriate information to ensure these referrals are noted as urgent
- All referral must be faxed to outpatients
- All referrals are triaged for sub-specialty and urgency
- Provision of appropriate clinical information within the "reason for patient referral" section of the referral form is essential for accurate triaging and access to services. This will also assist with arranging appropriate Allied Health assessments where necessary
- Both GP & patient will be notified of receipt of referral and expected waiting time for appointment
- Both GP & patient will be notified if a referral has been rejected
- GPs cannot refer into Registrar clinics
For patients who require reassessment regarding planned surgery or planned appointments, a new referral should be faxed through. In order to facilitate access, the new referral must contain the following information:
- State the referral is an update for a current patient
- Date of original referral
- Reason for requesting a review of referral. E.g. deterioration in clinical condition, pathology
The GP will be notified of the outcome of the re-triage process.
Last Modified: Friday, 15 February 2019
Address: Outpatients Department, Bellerine Centre Level 3, Geelong Hospital
Phone Numbers: GP Hotline for urgent bookings: If you wish to discuss the triage of your patient or require additional information about your patient's referral, please ring the GP hotline on 03 4215 1398 (for doctors only).
Referral fax number: 03 4215 1383
Car Parking: Metered parking available