History

The Hospital

The history of the "Geelong Hospital" began in 1849 when a committee formed to establish a public hospital in Geelong. After fundraising for several years, it was opened in 1853 as the Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum. This facility was renamed the Geelong and District Hospital (Kitchener Memorial) in 1924, and became officially known as the Geelong Hospital in 1966. This name was held until 2014 when the University Hospital Geelong title was adopted to signify Barwon Health's partnership as a teaching facility with Deakin University.

Barwon Health

The Barwon Health organisation was formed on 1 April 1998 as the result of a voluntary amalgamation between:

Traditional Owners

We, Barwon Health, acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land, the Wadawurrung people of the Kulin Nation. We pay our respects to the Elders both past and present.