You have the right to elect where you are treated, so why not select the most comprehensive health service in regional Australia? Barwon Health is an award-winning, nationally recognised health service, with the largest range of health services available to consumers including:
- A dedicated Veterans Support Program
- Personalised Veterans health services
- Holistic/team approach to service delivery.
As a Barwon Health patient, you will have the benefit of accessing our state-of-the art facilities as well as being treated by some of the best health professionals in the business. Your care will be delivered by using a holistic approach. From presentation through to discharge, you will be overseen by highly skilled and trained medical and allied health staff and nursing personnel, as well as our Veterans Liaison Officer supporting every step of your journey.
About the program:
Our Veterans and Families Support Program caters to all of our returned servicemen and women and their families. The program is designed to support you and your family through every step of your healthcare journey. Our Veteran Liaison Officer (VLO) will act on your behalf as an integral member of your support team. Throughout your stay, the VLO will advise you and your treating team with what supports and services available to you. This includes
• Home help
• Allied health support
• Other medical services required as part of your discharge &
• Pension and welfare support officers, who can assist you with advocacy and application submission to the DVA.
Barwon Health and the DVA are focused on helping veterans and war widows remain in their home for as long as is safe. Your discharge planning team to help tailor a plan for you, as recommended by each expert involved in your care. The team is made up of doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, physios, other allied health support staff, social workers and the Planning and Referral Team. The VLO is able to keep both you and the medical team up-to-date on any services and supports suited to you, tailoring each discharge plan to best suit the needs of you and your family.
Services available at Barwon Health:
• Emergency Department
• Renal dialysis
• Andrew Love Cancer Centre
• Surgical services
• State-of-the-art Intensive Care
• Specialist mental health teams
• State-of-the-art medical imaging, scanning and testing facilities
• Specialist stroke and neurology team
• Specialist geriatric and general medicine wards.
• Fractures and orthopaedic wards and rehabilitation facilities
• Inpatient Rehabilitation Centre
• Community rehabilitation
There are many more available through Barwon Health, please contact our VLO should you require support in a different area.
At University Hospital Geelong, you also have access to:
- Free onsite parking
- TV hire
- Daily newspaper
- Free telephone access
- Additional menu choices
- Volunteer transport
- Ted Mankelow Garden of Reflection and Remembrance
Barwon Health Links Program
The Volunteer Services Links Program is a free transport service for patients who may be unable to drive or arrange other transport. The Links Program takes Gold Card holders to and from their medical appointments at Barwon Health.
For more information, please phone the Barwon Health Veteran’s Liaison Officer via the University Hospital Geelong Switchboard on (03) 4215 0000.